Re: Distribution delays on mailing lists for GNU LilyPond

From: Jean Abou Samra
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 15:04:59 +0200

Le 29/10/2022 à 06:34, Ian Kelling a écrit :
I have an update. A lists.gnu.org user from emacs helped me identify
some occasional backlogs that were happening, causing 2 - 3 hour delays
of some messages every once in a while. I've done a deep dive into the
performance of the system, identified some bottlenecks, and figured out
how to eliminate them, making those tasks get done much more
efficiently. Unfortunately, there was some bumps in the road in that
process over the last week, leading to some long delays, but as of
yesterday things are stable. Previously, a post to lilypond-user would
often take 10 minutes to go out to ~1000 subscribers. Now, if there
aren't a lot of other messages being processed, that will go out to all
subscribers in about 2 minutes. Obviously, that will take longer if lots
of messages get posted at the same time, 10 messages will take 10
minutes or so, and messages from other lists can affect this, but there
are only a handful of lists on our server with lots of subscribers like
lilypond-user. The time to deliver scales linearly with the # of
subscribers.

That's good news! Thank you very much for your work on this.

The reasons for delayed messages I mentioned in my quote above still
exist, and I want to note again that lilypond can add moderators to
approve messages from new posters faster than the listhelpers, and this
should be even more helpful now that messages are processed faster.

Right now, nominating moderators is not possible because the list
admin is unresponsive. Cf. our private correspondence.

The next major improvement I plan to work on is deploying public-inbox,
https://public-inbox.org/README.html, a new list archive which will
operate alongside the existing one. It has many nice features, one that
is not obvious is that it's search function should work better. An
example is here https://inbox.sourceware.org/binutils/ . Mailman 3 will
come after that.

Looks like this supports Unicode. For a list like lilypond-user-fr,
where many possible search terms have accents, this would go a long
way.

Thanks,
Jean