Re: Updated release schedule

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Updated release schedule
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 13:47:40 +0100

On Mon, 2022-10-10 at 23:08 +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> Weekend of October 22/23: first release candidate LilyPond 2.23.80
>
> Weekend of November 12/13: second release candidate LilyPond 2.23.81

So we are here. That said, we have a Critical Regression issue:
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6463
Jean already prepared a fix in the form of
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1725

In my opinion, this leaves us with two alternatives:
1. Review and merge the fix this weekend and release 2.23.81, hoping
that it doesn't break text replacements in other ways. Assuming things
go well, we could still have the final 2.24.0 in early December.
2. Release 2.23.81 without the fix and instead review it properly. Then
have a third release candidate 2.23.82 the weekend of November 26/27,
and delay the final 2.24.0 to mid December (maybe the week 12th-18th).

I only had a quick look so far and the fix seems non-trivial to me, in
particular not a plain revert of a previous commit. It also seems to
involve GC related problems, which I haven't understood yet. I
therefore lean towards the second option.

Please let me know what you think.

Jonas