Re: Prefer luatex for documentation,Re: Prefer luatex for documentation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Prefer luatex for documentation,Re: Prefer luatex for documentation
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:40:56 +0000 (UTC)

> On the other hand, most contributors (except those who want to
> fine-tune the typography, i.e. basically you, Werner) will want the
> doc build to be as fast as possible, so I'm not fond of using it by
> default.

OK.  I will adapt my patch accordingly and remove luatex from the
`configure` script.  Jonas can then select whatever he thinks is
appropriate.  I'm too tired to defend superior typographical output
again and again since it is obviously only me who sees a benefit in
it.

> I would prefer a ./configure option.

I think a `configure` option is not necessary since the selection of
the TeX engine can already be controlled by the environment variables
`PDFTEX` and `PDFLATEX`.

> Finally, the maintenance burden of supporting three different
> engines is a very real thing.

Again, I'm too tired to argue.

> You would like to do it for "philosophical reasons", but I haven't
> yet understood what philosophy there is behind this exactly. Please
> clarify.

My idea is that building the documentation works 'out of the box', at
least regarding the used TeX engine.  For example, there are a lot of
users who set the `PDFTEX` and `PDFLATEX` environment variables by
default in their environment variables because they prefer to use,
say, XeTeX for all docuents – in LaTeX, there are *really* differences
depending on the engine.

    Werner