Re: Deprecation of instrumentCueName and instrument switch stuffs

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Deprecation of instrumentCueName and instrument switch stuffs
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 11:55:04 -0500

Hi Werner,

> Please show (images of) typical examples of what you want to see.
> I can imagine that such a feature would be worth adding.

Here’s the fundamental problem:

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.23.14"

global = {
  %%  v1
    \key c \major
    s1*4
    \bar "||"
  %%  v2
    \key d \major
    s1*4
    \bar "|."
}

%%  NOTE:
%%  All instrument music is written in absolute mode and concert pitch.

flute = {
  %%  v1
    e''4 d'' c'' d''
    e''4 4 2
    d''4 4 2
    e''4 g''4 2
  %%  v2
    R1*4
}
\addQuote "flute" \flute

altosax = {
  %%  v1
    R1*4
  %%  v2
    fis''4 e'' d'' e''
    fis''4 4 2
    e''4 4 2
    fis''4 a''4 2
}
\addQuote "altosax" \altosax

%%  WIND PLAYER’S COMBINED MUSIC
%%  yes, I know they can’t switch instruments this fast... ;)
windplayer = {
  %%  v1
    <>^\markup "Flute"
    \quoteDuring "flute" { s1*4 }
  %%  v2
    <>^\markup "Alto Sax"
    \quoteDuring "altosax" { s1*4 }
}

%%  SCORE (CONCERT PITCH)
%%  This is easy: just use the stitched “quoted” parts.
\score {
  \new Staff = "wind doubler" \new Voice << \global \windplayer >>
}

%%  PART (TRANSPOSED)
%%  What’s the least amount of work required
%%  to make this transposed part, with correct key signature?
\score {
  \new Staff = "wind doubler" \new Voice << \global \windplayer >>
}
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

What I currently do is break the global up into separate variables and stitch
them together with the instruments, transposing them as required by the
instrument/player. What I want is to be able to have a single global (with all
key changes intact), build multi-instrumentalist music on top of that, and
output C and transposed scores without a lot of extra fuss.

I’d love to find the best practice here — adding functionality or sugar, if
necessary — and put out a quick tutorial for anyone else who struggles with
this kind of engraving.

Thanks!
Kieren.