Re: LilyPond 2.24.0 released!

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.24.0 released!
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:51:31 +0100

Le 16/12/2022 à 00:34, Hendursaga a écrit :
Completely rewritten, you say? Hopefully that will make it easier to update the
GNU Guix package for LilyPond!

I don't think so. It was a rewrite of the infrastructure for making
official releases, which mostly means compiling LilyPond's dependencies
for all supported OSes, including cross-compilation for Windows
via MinGW. There have been improvements in LilyPond's build system,
i.e. the system that compiles LilyPond itself given all the dependencies,
but not major changes.

Does that include changes to how the documentation gets built?

See above.

That was my biggest hurdle trying to get the patch to work! Removing the steps
to build the docs allowed me to proceed - I even got (some) things to work
under Guile 3.0 and with a REPL server coupled with Geiser!

Speaking of Guile 3.0, I presume the next stable LilyPond release would
"officially" work with it? Or is that further down the road?

This is more a question to ask at Guile than LilyPond
actually, because it is currently difficult to compile
Guile 3.0 for Windows, although there has been recent
progress in this area:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2022-12/msg00002.html

So there are no plans for switching to Guile 3.0 so far,
and we can only discuss doing it once it is established
that it can be made to work on all OSes LilyPond supports.
Also, last time I looked, its presence in various GNU/Linux
distributions was not systematic.