Re: Issue with deep-copy/map-some-music a tuplet

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Issue with deep-copy/map-some-music a tuplet
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 18:40:42 +0100

On Sun, Dec 25, 2022 at 6:18 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> > Le 25 déc. 2022 à 18:08, Paolo Prete <paolopr976@gmail.com> a écrit :
> >

> > Hello Jean,
> >
> > I just verified that 2.25 doesn't accept a tuplet of skips ( i.e:
> \tuplet 3/2 {  s s s }, while all the previous versions do.
> > Is this really intended?
>

> No, as I wrote on a comment in the issue. It was not an intended effect of
> my change. Note, though, that previous versions output a programming error.

What error are you referring to, exactly? In case of my last snippet, which
produces a tuplet of three skips, it compiles fine with previous versions.

> > I understand that a tuplet of skips doesn't make sense in a score, but I
> believe it makes sense in a function.
> > I have some functions in my library that can obtain these tuplets as the
> result of some processing and this causes troubles for me. Therefore I
> wonder how I can get rid of the previous error.
>

> Frankly, unless you are really after 2.25 features, which aren’t that
> numerous at this early point in its development cycle, I would just use
> 2.24 and wait for this bug to be fixed in 2.25.

Of course I'll wait for the fix, there's no need for me to have my library
compatible with 2.25.0.
However, one thing is not clear to me. The tracked issue (
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6482 ) talks about improving
a failure message for a weird tuplet, but I ask: should a tuplet of skips
raise an error or warning?