Re: LSR update?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: LSR update?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 16:55:18 +0100

Am Di., 27. Dez. 2022 um 15:24 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr>:

> Le 27/12/2022 à 15:06, Thomas Morley a écrit :
> > Well, I started to update the snippets to 2.24.0 locally.
>
> Thank you for doing this.
>
> Do you intend to do them all, or do you need help?

I'd volunteer to update all lsr-snippets, though I surely need some help.
Especially for the snippets in (1) a) b) c)

Your comments below are already helpful.

Lateron, when LSR runs 2.24.0, we need to insert all snippets from
/Documentation/snippets/new.
This is tedious, any help would be great.

As final step we need to delete the ones from
/Documentation/snippets/new and commit the new state,
I would be very thankful if someone else could do so.

> > Some observations:
> >
> > (1)
> > I'm stuck with three snippets:
> > a) clip-systems.ly It's tagged "doc"
> > I've no clue how we get it into Snippets, though the image there is
> > wrong (compared with lsr).
> > For me it looks like the emitted .eps-files are replaced by .pdf-files
> > and then the snippet crashes.
> > How to fix?
> > b) incrementing-bar-numbers-in-volta-repeats.ly
> > Needs a complete rewrite!?
>
> > c) inserting-bar-lines-everywhere.ly
> > `barAlways' is gone, but the proposed replacement
> > `forbidBreakBetweenBarLines' does not what the snippet deserves.
>

> I propose to just delete this snippet, and maybe replace
> it with a snippet showing how to use forbidBreakBetweenBarLines.
>
> I don't see what the use case for barAlways and defaultBarType != ""
> could be (although it would still be possible with a Scheme engraver).

Ok, for now I let it in, though.
Hopefully we not forget to delete/replace it...

> > (2)
> > convert-ly emits a plethora of "not smart enough" messages for
> > \consists Mark_engraver
> > But why?
> > It's not outdated code!!
> > It's going on my nerves. I don't think we should use convert-ly to
> > educate our users to use the new possibilties, that's the duty of the
> > documentation.
> > And there are still cases where \remove/consists Mark_engraver is what
> > the user wants, but these messages will persists forever.
> > I vote for simply deleting that convert-rule.
>

> Disagreed. \consists Mark_engraver needs conversion in *some* cases.

Out of curiosity and not related to lsr-update, do you have an example
of 2.22.-code (where Mark_engraver is moved) which would not run in
2.24.?

> The convert-ly rule is not advertising new possibilities, it's warning
> about a potential needed update to get the same output as before.
>
> The messages will not "persist forever" since convert-ly will
> update the \version statement and the rule will not run afterwards.
> (OK, LSR snippets don't have a \version line, but you'd run
> convert-ly from the latest stable.)

Well, ok.

> > (3)
> > It's not possible to do
> > lilypond *.ly
> > on all snippets.
> > Somewhere there's a bleed over, causing multiple
> > warnings/errors/crashes on otherwise clean compilimg snippets, when
> > compiled separately.
> > Worth researching I'd say, too tired right now though.
>

> I think this is a lost cause. There is a lot of hacky Scheme code
> in snippets and I think quite a few are not protected against
> bleedover.

Once I have much time, I may give it a try. Not that I'd know when
"much time" will happen...

> > (4)
> > Here a list what I did else:
> >
> >   [fixed manually]
> >   adding-articulation-marks-using-scheme-simple.ly
> >   adding-or-modifying-script-articulations.ly
> >   ancient-accidentals.ly
> >
> > automatically-changing-the-stem-direction-of-the-middle-note-based-on-the-melody.ly
> >
> > compare-and-adjust-parts-with-different-volta-settings-to-create-a-score.ly
> >   coloured-boxes-around---behind-notes.ly
> >   displaying-bar-numbers-on-a-separate-staff.ly
> >   extracting-text-from-markup.ly
> >
> > how-to-print-two-rehearsal-marks-above-and-below-the-same-barline-method-2-[obsolete-in-2.23].ly
> >   REMARK: Above is *not* obsolet
>

> In the snippet file, you write:
>
> "I don't think the snippet is obsolet, because we don't have a snippet
> explaining
> how to print above *and* below"
>
> Isn't it obvious once you know how to add a text mark above
> and how to add a text mark below?
>
> The latter (\tweak direction #DOWN) is shown in the official docs, maybe
> we can add a snippet just for it.

I still think it is usefull.

Btw, the "obsolet"-additions are from you?
Do you think all of the snippets labelled this way should be deleted?
If so, I suggest to upfate them as well and delete them after lsr-update is done

> >   modifying-the-ottava-spanner-slope.ly
> >   REMARK: Above will be replaced by the one from
> > /Doceumentation/snippets/new anyway
> >   ottava-text-on-the-right.ly
> >   positioning-two-opposite--fermata-signs-over-the-last-bar-line.ly
> >   printing-marks-on-every-staff.ly
> >   squeeze-and-split-staff.ly
> >   using-a-percent-repeat-with-plainchant.ly
> >   using-marklines-in-a-frenched-score.ly
> >   using-tags-to-produce-mensural-and-modern-music-from-the-same-source.ly
> >   vertical-aligned-staffgroups-without-connecting-systemstartbar.ly
> >   REMARK: Above will be replaced by the one from
> > /Doceumentation/snippets/new anyway
> >
> >   [fixed manually inside LSR]
> >   coloring-staves.ly
> >   extended-position-fingering-for-string-instruments.ly
> >   TODO Above lsr-image is wrong
> >   hiding-parts-of-slurs-to-avoid-collisions-with-other-objects.ly
> >   schleifer-articulation-mark.ly
> >
> >   [won't fix]
> >   combining-two-parts-on-the-same-staff.ly
> >
> >   TODO guile message about `string-delete'
> >
> > adding-fingerings-or-string-numbers-or-stroke-fingerings-outside-of-the-music-code.ly
>

> Can be fixed by just inverting the arguments to string-delete.
>

> >   TODO correct??
> >   ancient-fonts.ly
>

> What do you mean by "TODO correct??" ?

The image in 2.22-lsr and the 2.24.0-image differ.
I'm not sure if the 2.24.-output is as it should be.
,