[WISH] ‘smart’ punctuation for Lyrics

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: [WISH] ‘smart’ punctuation for Lyrics
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 12:09:55 +0100

Dear devs,

when I use tags to differentiate lyrics in different parts, I often have to complicate the source file and duplicate code in order because of different punctuation that results from different repetitions and/or elisions. Very much boiled down:

\lyricmode {
  yes
  \tag alto,bass { yes, }
  \tag bass { but? }
  \tag alto { but, still! }
}

It would seem convenient to be able to write (pseudo-code)

\lyricmode {
  yes
  \tag alto,bass { \, but }
  \tag bass { \? }
  \tag alto { \, still \! }
}

for the same result, introducing an event and an input syntax/commands to render it correctly.

Does that seem feasible/desirable to anyone? Just an idea…

Best, Simon