Re: Strange behaviour with unknown alternativeNumberingStyle

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with unknown alternativeNumberingStyle
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 13:00:56 -0500

On Dec 30, 2022, at 12:10, Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> please have a look at:
>
> \version "2.25.0"
>
> {
>  \override Score.BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t)
> %  \set Score.alternativeNumberingStyle = #'whatever
>  b1
>  \repeat volta 2 { c' c' }
>  \alternative { d' e' }
>  f'
> }
>
> As soon as the style-setting is uncommented it behaves like
>  \set Score.alternativeNumberingStyle = #'number
> shouldn't an unknown style behave like the default '()?

I don't see documentation or regression tests for anything beyond 'number and
'numbers-with-letters.

Since https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/594#note_477121479,
Timing_translator chooses the numbers and Bar_number_engraver formats them.
Any value of "alternativeNumberingStyle" causes Timing_translator to use the
alternative numbering scheme common to both of those styles.

> tl;dr
> This probably prevents me defining a knew style
> with a custom engraver
> as fix for lsr-snippet 1080 "Incrementing bar numbers in volta
> repeats"
> https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=1080

From the description: "Here is a hack that increments the currentBarNumber
property whenever volta repeats occur.  It also offers basic (though limited)
support for alternatives."

Do you need a new value for alternativeNumberingStyle?  If you want the
behavior arising from leaving alternativeNumberingStyle unset, why not leave it
unset and let your custom engraver do the rest?

Besides, the snippet's numbering scheme seems oriented toward the volte in
general rather than the alternatives.  It isn't clearly a new kind of
alternative numbering.
—
Dan