Re: Slurs without Stems (Issue #3760)

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Slurs without Stems (Issue #3760)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:40:35 +0100

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 8:09 PM Dan Eble <dan@lyric.works> wrote:

> Should slurs require Stem_engraver?
>
> No:  https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/3760#note_339794300
> Yes:
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1800#note_1227831830
>
> I'm looking for some input from old-timers to help decide this so I can avoid
> wasting more time on broken or unacceptable solutions.

I have no definite opinion either, and I created this mess ;-)

In general, the formatting code tries to be lenient when Grobs are
missing, and looks for fallbacks. This means that adding some support
for finding the extremal head without a stem is fine, albeit that not
all formatting may turn out correctly.

In retrospect, I don't know if the NoteColumn grob has been a great
idea: as time progressed, the original function of NoteColumn (provide
the extents of a notehead + stem + flag) has been usurped by various
more sophisticated mechanisms.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen