Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 20:20:22 +0100

Sorry for piping up:

Personally I don't see any problem with Jean's poll: It clearly was not intended as a way to reach a democratic decision, but as a means of obtaining a data point.

(which is surprising and my interpretation is that the question was
phrased wrongly: Currently, the only format for the inclusion of vector
graphics is EPS. I just tested this with the Debian logo, and
conversion to SVG with Imagemagick produces a black-and-white image.
Conversion to PDF on the other hand is as easy as "ps2pdf -dEPSCrop"
and hugely battle-tested with Ghostscript. Conversion to SVG actually
seems to work with Inkscape, but requires the use of a graphical
interface (or I haven't found the full batch options yet), and
internally seems to use Ghostscript, so it's actually two conversions
instead of one. My conclusion is that PDF is the more "logical"
successor to the inclusion of EPS.)

I think (and I hope that my judgement is not being clouded by my own private preference for SVG) that there's one flaw in your logic: Namely, you seem to assume that the current situation allowing only EPS as import format is good/convenient for most users. For example, in a hypothetical situation where users have resorted to converting their SVGs to EPS in order to being able to import them into LilyPond scores, it would not be surprising that a poll on PDF vs. SVG resulted in a preference for SVG.

But of course it's of value in itself to be as backwards-compatible as possible (which would lead to favouring PDF, as has been detailed by you), and since I can't contribute to the technical matters at hand, I'll shut up again. :-)

Lukas