Re: updating merge request

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: updating merge request
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 06:03:01 -0800

On 2023-01-20 3:22 am, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Rewriting history is just something that one might not be used to coming
from other projects, but perfectly fine for our purposes.

It was impressed upon me to treat rewriting history as fraught with peril, potentially even Bad(tm) in the Ghostbusters sense:

    "Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and
every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light." -- Egon Spengler

One might argue that anything in your development branch is not really part of "history" yet as it has not been accepted. (The situation gets murkier when people are forking forks.) As such, it *should* be safe to mess about with commits to clean up typos or catch missing files, what have you. And I would agree this results in a cleaner submission that is easier to review for correctness. (I probably should clarify my earlier comments that I do not intentionally make my commits messy, just that I usually do not stress about them being so absolutely pristine; again, I am used to work being squashed, so any niceness I put in there gets lost.)

So I can see --amend being useful for the little things. But let's say during a review, it is determined that the scope could increase to cover more items than originally planned but that still feels part of the same submission. (Anything too distinct really should be an independent request.) Now, you might not necessarily want to force all of the new development work into the existing commit. Reviewers might even appreciate seeing the individual slices of the task more cleanly delineated. In a sense, there is some "history" to the process that might be worth preserving during this stage.

-- Aaron Hill