Re: [RFC] Switch Docker images to Ubuntu 20.04 and bump requirements

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: [RFC] Switch Docker images to Ubuntu 20.04 and bump requirements
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:43:15 +0100

On 29/01/2023 16:27, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ubuntu 18.04 will reach its end-of-life later this year, so I'd like to
> propose that we switch our Docker images for testing and the official
> documentation builds to Ubuntu 20.04. Here is a merge request:
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1827
>
> One caveat is that I want to finally use the pre-packaged fonts-urw-
> base35 instead of downloading and extracting it ourselves.
> Unfortunately, the *.otf files are installed in a different place, so
> we have to temporarily fix up some paths in the test-baseline. Another
> "pain point" is that the images are much bigger (997MB compared to
> 823MB with Ubuntu 18.04). I had a quick look and most if it seems to
> come from TexLive. If somebody has ideas how to "install less" or
> otherwise reduce the size, I would welcome contributions.
>
> As a second step, I would like to bump a number of requirements to
> versions available in Ubuntu 18.04.

Did you mean Ubuntu 20.04?

> This simplifies some checks and
> also acknowledges the fact that we are rarely testing with older
> versions, so any breakage may go unnoticed:
>  - Python 3.6 -> 3.8 (this is particularly easy to break); the
> exception would be the scripts in release/binaries/ that need to run on
> CentOS 7, which only has Python 3.6

I'm very happy about this one. It means we can use the UTF-8 mode,
introduced in Python 3.7 (which will also ultimately become the
default in Python 3.15). This will allow us to remove encoding="utf-8"
everywhere and mostly stop caring about encodings, everything will use
UTF-8.

>  - Fontconfig 2.4.0 -> 2.13
>  - FreeType 2.3.9 -> 2.10
>  - Glib2 2.38 -> 2.64
>  - Pango 1.40 -> 1.44
>  - Cairo 1.8.8 -> 1.16

Also nice, because PDF hyperlinks / page links / outlines / metadata
can be unconditionally supported in the Cairo backend.

>  - Texinfo 6.1 -> 6.7
>
> What I would like to keep are the versions of FontForge, where we are
> bound by CentOS 7, and Ghostscript, because it had a licensing change
> to AGPL and I think it would be good the keep the ability to run with a
> GPL-only version.

Fine with me.

> Let me know what you think.

SGTM.