Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 13:36:14 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:

Hey,

> Every year, we go over the source code to update the copyright years
> that are found in the source headers. I propose to stop this.

+1

> Also note that many other projects (eg. git) seem to survive just fine
> without yearly exercise like this.

Yes.  Of course, git is not a GNU project but I see this in projects
like Guix too.  usually, $author includes a copyright year update in
their patch when they make a change to a file.  For trivial changes, it
could be skipped but that's often usually up to the courtesy of $author.

Greetings,
Janneke

--
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org