Re: Make gitlab automatically add MR ID to commit message(s)?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Make gitlab automatically add MR ID to commit message(s)?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2023 13:53:59 +0100

Le dimanche 19 mars 2023 à 12:07 +0000, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
> ```
>
> I think it would be beneficial if the original MR ID gets added to the
> commit message(s).  Is this possible?  In many cases there is some
> useful discussion that might help better understand code issues.
>
> Ideally, the 'merge request' button would do that.

See
[https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/commit_templates.html](https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/commit_templates.html).
 AFAICT, it's only possible when using merging or squash-merging, but not
fast-forward merging aka rebasing.

The method I use is to go to
[https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commits/master](https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commits/master)
 and search for the commit's title line using the search box in the top right.
For example,

[https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commits/master?search=convertrules.py%3A+Whitespace%2C+formatting%2C+minor+typos](https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/commits/master?search=convertrules.py%3A+Whitespace%2C+formatting%2C+minor+typos)

If you click on the commit, you get a link to the MR where it was merged.