Re: Re^2: Font problem, Xdvi, quite urgent.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Re^2: Font problem, Xdvi, quite urgent.
Date: 15 Oct 2001 12:24:10 +0200

Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:

> However, both Lilypond,
> xdvi and dvips should be able to find the necessary fonts. Note that
> $MFINPUTS should end or begin with a colon, so TeX finds the default
> fonts as well.

Here may lie part of the problem.  When configuring xdvi, you can
specify --with-tetex, but I also had to set

  --with-default-texmf-path=PATH
                          set default texmf list to PATH

because --with-tetex assumed tetex to be installed in /usr/local.
In addition, there are some

  --with-default-font-path=PATH
                          set default font path to PATH

style options to be used.  Xdvi (that's not xdvik) is also
particularly broken in that it looks at its own executable name, ie,
xdvi may work but break when you rename the binary to xdvi.bin, and
run it through a script (something that most linux distros do).  In
that case, you'll have to edit /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf, and add fontpaths
for the new name, eg:

    PKFONTS.xdvi.bin    = .:$TEXMF/fonts/%s:$VARTEXFONTS/pk/%m//
    VFFONTS.xdvi.bin    = .:$TEXMF/%s
    TFMFONTS.xdvi.bin = .:$VARTEXFONTS/tfm//

I've complained to the xdvi author and sent a patch, but he disagrees
with GNU standards and seems to think that looking at argv[0] is a
neat trick.

That's why I advised to run strace; you can quite easily check whether

   * xdvi really opens /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
   * xdvi walks the desired fontpath (you can prepend a dummy
     directory name like /URG/ to a particular path, to see if it
     starts looking there).

Jan.