Re: Lilypond build trouble

From: Carl McTague
Subject: Re: Lilypond build trouble
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 22:30:48 -0400

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 05:02:21PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> No, I'm sorry, you don't understand.  It's about what shell /bin/sh
> is.  ./configure won't be processed by [t]csh.

Oh!  Gotcha.  That makes a lot more sense.  I didn't realize there was
such variety in sh implementations!  It's part of the core FreeBSD
distribution (so not a package), but I'm not exactly sure of it's
heritage.  The man page says:

DESCRIPTION
     The sh utility is the standard command interpreter for the system.  The
     current version of sh is in the process of being changed to conform with
     the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification for the shell.  This ver-
     sion has many features which make it appear similar in some respects to
     the Korn shell, but it is not a Korn shell clone like pdksh(1).  Only
     features designated by POSIX, plus a few Berkeley extensions, are being
     incorporated into this shell.  This man page is not intended to be a
     tutorial nor a complete specification of the shell.

>     bash ./configure

This does work.  But I haven't had a chance to check the fix in cvs;
I'm having trouble connecting.  I'm probably just doing something
wrong...

Thanks for your time,
  Carl