Re: tab

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: tab
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:46:30 +0200

Anna Langley wrote:

<snip very interresting letter>

I am also alive and read most of the music I play from these "upside down systems" (i.e. Italian Tablature)!

Yes. But currently the notational stuff is not what we are discussing.
Ofcourse we should add properties to turn the Tab upside down - and it is already now (via. scheme - should be done more accessible, though) possible to change the numbers to letters - including replacing "c" with "r", omitting "j", etc... All the above is just notational convbentions which do not affect the way that lilypond interally represents the music.

Currently we are discussing how the syntax and semantics for ENTERING (not DISPLAYING) string information - in particular which string is the first and which is the last. The code for automatically selecting strings should depend on this - therefore just changing the tunings of the strings will not work.

Please don't get this wrong. I FOUND your letter very interresting - and of course we will return to it when the Tabs are a bit more up and running - but I was afraid that you got our discussion wrong.

-Rune