Re: Failed work-around for interstaff chords

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Failed work-around for interstaff chords
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:20:25 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> It isn't (yet) possible to spread a chord over two staves in a piano
> system. The logic work-around is to place the notes respective to each
> staff and then extend the stem of one of the newly formed chords to
> reach out to the other.

Indeed.

> And of course, for this to work, both chords must be perfectly
> aligned. In most cases this isn't a problem. But when it is, I can't
> figure out how to solve it...

Yes.  Of course, that too can be faked, eg by using extra-offset.
It's not very nice, because LilyPond can't really handle this.  See
below.

Jan.

sDown = \translator Staff = "down"
sUp = \translator Staff = "up"
stemExtend = \property Voice.Stem \set #'length = #22

global =  \notes {
        \time 3/8
        \key f \major
}

\score{
        \context PianoStaff \notes <
                \context Staff="up" <
                        \global
                        \clef treble

                        \context Voice = one <
                                \notes \transpose c''' \sequential {
                                        \stemUp

                                        a,8 a f |
                                        c a, f, |
                                        g, g e |
                                        bes, g, e, |
                                }

                \context Staff="down" <
                        \global
                        \clef bass

                        \context Voice = two <
                                \notes \transpose c'' \sequential {
                                        \stemDown

                                        < { \stemDown \sDown s4.
                                            a,
 \property Voice.Stem \override #'extra-offset = #'(0.65 . 0)
 \property Voice.NoteHead \override #'extra-offset = #'(0.65 . 0)
                                            bes,
                                        } \\
                                          { \stemDown \sUp   f4. \stemExtend f
f   }> |