Re: taglines and vertical alignment

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: taglines and vertical alignment
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 19:40:33 -0800

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:24:49 -0400
Suzanne Blatt <address@hidden> wrote:
> >This line reduces the spacing between staves; the default is (-6 . 6)
> >
> >It should look like this:
> >\score {
> >\notes {blah blah}
> >\paper {
> > \translator{ \StaffContext minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-4 . 4) }
> >}}
>
> OK, I have tried this, I get an 'unbalanced brace' message.  Does
> \paper HAVE to be under \score for this to work?  I usually put \paper
> at the beginning of my document and specify page size, blah blah blah.
>  Is location important for this?

Before I answer, I have two comments:
1. <html><div style='background-color:'><DIV>
Please don't send html, to either me personally or to lilypond-user.
Your email client or webmail thing should have an option like "send as
text" or "no html" or the like -- use it.
2.  Please respond to the list (address@hidden) in addition to me
personally.  I don't mind getting two copies of emails, and that way
other people can help you too (especially if I give an incorrect answer,
which happens occasionally :).  In addition, once we've resolved your
issues, the answer goes on the 'net (in the lilypond-user archives)
which can help other people with similar problems.

\paper doesn't have to be inside a \score{ ... } ; I put it there out of
habit. As for your unbalanced brace message, I suspect that you forgot to close
a curly bracket "{" somewhere in your file.  Try this example:

----
\score {
\notes {a4 a a a \break a a a a}
\paper {
  \translator{ \StaffContext minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-4 . 4) }
}}
---
It works for me.  If it doesn't work for you, then you've hit a bug;
please tell us what system, lilypond version, etc.

If the example works for you, then investigate your existing lilypond
file to find out what's different in your file.  It's possible that
Noteedit has a bug in its lilypond export.

About your other email, the staff name shouldn't matter at all.

Cheers,
- Graham