top and bottom margins

From: clive CATTERALL
Subject: top and bottom margins
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 19:42:29 -0000

I have a problem fitting the first movement of one of Telemann's canonical
sonatas for two flutes onto two pages to avoid having to turn pages in the
middle of a movement.

In one of the mutopia lilypond files I have found the (undocumented?)
ChoirStaff context which seems successfully to put a brace around the front
of the two grouped staves allowing the spacing between staff groups to be
relatively small without your eye skipping to the wrong staff while
sightreading.

However, when using ly2dvi I seem to get an enormous space at the top and
bottom of the music, presumably for documentation.  I'd rather put this
information on the flysheet, as is common practise.  I can find no
documentation about altering the top and bottom margin.  I found no
references in the past postings to this group, so does anyone know how to do
this?

Currently using 16pt I have a space of 41 mm between the top staff and the
top of the page and 81mm at the bottom.  I have 5 pairs of staves on the
page and the A4 Barenreiter edition I am working from has 7 perfectly
legible staves of the same size per page!

Clive Catterall
baroque flutes made using traditional methods and materials
http://www.flutes.fsbusiness.co.uk