Re: quick note insert in Emacs

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: quick note insert in Emacs
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 09:11:05 -0500

On Saturday 08 March 2003 04:25 pm, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I type my lily scores in GNU Emacs. Having done a
> `M-x describe-mode', I found the `C-c i' facility
> (LilyPond-quick-note-insert) very interesting. Inspirated by
> this feature, I wrote a lilypond-quick-insert-mode, derived from
> lilypond-mode, which behaves a bit like LilyPond-quick-note-insert,
> with some little differences:
> - a midi sound is played when a note is inserted or modified
> (requires ALSA, though)
> - notes are entered first by giving their pitch, then they are
> eventually modified by giving duration, alteration, dots, octave
> etc, ie in the other way LilyPond-quick-note-insert works. Each key
> stroke actually modify the buffer, output is not defered.
> - as it is a mode, rather than a basic key-listening loop, other
> lilypond or general key bindings also work.
> - all the languages (dutsch, italian, german, ...) that I found in
> the documentation are provided.
> - choice is given between relative and absolute octaves (although I
> don't know if this is really usefull).
> and few other things.
> you switch from regular lilypond-mode to lilypond-quick-insert-mode
> by typing `C-c q' for instance, and then back to lilypond-mode by
> pressing `q'.
>
> Anyway, as it works for me, it might interest other emacs users. Here
> it is: http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/lilypond/
>
> best regards,
> nicolas

Thanks a million for doing this.  I don't know how.

I have some suggestions.  One is to use c7 for c16, c5 for c32, c0 for
c64 and c9 for c128.  The mnemonic is to add the first and last digits.
That way you can eliminate many instances of pressing the spacebar if
you have a separate (minor mode?) for adding fingering.
IOW:

c'777c,5d would produce c'16 c'16 c'16 c32 d32 with 10 keystrokes
rather than the 16 to get c'16 c c c,32 d    , which is usually harder
to read. The single keypress 8 could repeat  <<c8 e g>> or <<c e g>>8

Suggestion two is to use relative pitch to enter the music but have the
result not be relative, because relative pitch is quicker to enter but
far nastier to work with after it is entered.  Apologies if you did
that already, but using either instead of both is more confusing, I
think.  That is because relative pitch is best thought of as an editing
tool rather than a preprocessor.

While you're at it, :-)

there is a need for a transposing tool.  Someone else asked for that
recently, and hints were given how it might be done.  Sometimes you may
want to produce a phrase in a different key even in a different voice
on the same staff, and \transpose is no help with that sort of thing.
It's just for transposing instruments, and no help for tasks more
related to composition.

--
Lies are the first casualty of peace.
dra@ or http://www.openguitar.com