Re: improving docs (was: Break_Align_Order-3)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: improving docs (was: Break_Align_Order-3)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:58:47 -0800

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:48:21 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> I can certainly do some of that.  My next concern/question would be
> concerning versions.  I use whatever is packaged for Debian unstable -
> currently 1.6.6.  Is there much point improving that documentation when
> the development is done on a later version?  I see the online manual is
> actually 1.6.0.

That's a bit misleading -- IIRC, the "version number" of the manual is simply
a string in the .itely or .tely file.  The manual _has_ been updated since
1.6.0.

About what version to document: 1.6.x is frozen (apart from major bug fixes),
and
that unfortunately applies to the documentation too.  So doc patches would need
apply to 1.7.x.  However, most things that were hard to learn for 1.6.6 (which
is
what's in Debian right now) will still be hard to learn for 1.7.x, so you could
still work on the documentation for 1.7.x although you just use 1.6.6.

Alternately, you could work on other things -- the "tricks" examples, or an
entirely
seperate document about common problems, or a FAQ, or something ilke that.

Cheers,
- Graham