Re: Multi-voice grace note work-around? Also abc2ly questions

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Multi-voice grace note work-around? Also abc2ly questions
Date: 16 Mar 2003 12:14:15 -0500

    Hans> Grace notes ... If this is the same problem, it has been
    Hans> recently discussed under title "Problems with grace notes,
    Hans> barlines, accidentals" and is documented as a bug.
    Hans> Effective workaround seems to be to place a grace 'skip'
    Hans> note in each staff/voice at the same place.

Yes, with the added complication that if the grace note isn't at the
beginning of a bar, you also need a \partial statement to tell lily
where the next bar line is.

    Hans> I have noticed the same types of concerns with midi2ly - I
    Hans> have no experience with abc2ly and I did not expect more out
    Hans> of a midi source.  Hopefully the new NoteEdit release will
    Hans> help us out ... I have not read about or installed NoteEdit
    Hans> but I would not mind a abc2ly > noteedit > lilypond cycle,
    Hans> assuming NoteEdit can handle .ly input.  Anyone else have
    Hans> experience?

The last I used noteedit (some time ago), it didn't take .ly input.  I
would expect that taking ABC input would be easier than general
lilypond input.  Importing MIDI produced by abc2ly/lilypond or abc2midi might
help some with that route.  But in general, a lot of the information
you're going to want to add to the abc2ly-generated lily is going to
be stuff that noteedit doesn't deal with either.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139