Chord names - solution to size and bass note offset

From: Ken Ellinwood
Subject: Chord names - solution to size and bass note offset
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:49:39 -0800 (PST)

After much thrashing about using version 1.6.6, I was finally able to figure
out how to get chord names the way I like them.

There were two things that bugged me -- 1) the chord name size, 2) offset which
raises the location of the base note in the chord name (when present).

The solution to the chord name size is to set the font-magnification property
for chord names (as mentioned in other posts, font-size-relative doesn't work).

    \context ChordNames = c {
        % Scale down the size of the chord names by .75
        \property ChordNames.ChordName \set #'font-magnification = #0.75

        \property ChordNames.ChordName \override #'word-space = #2

% Try to make chord names bold
        \property ChordNames.ChordName \set #'font-series = #'bold

        % employ
        \property ChordNames.ChordName \override #'style = #'american

        \property ChordNames.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(0 . 5)
        \chords {
            e2 e4/+cis b4/+dis
            e2 e4/+cis b4/+dis