Re: Scanning music OCR to lilypond?

From: Guido Amoruso
Subject: Re: Scanning music OCR to lilypond?
Date: 02 Jun 2003 22:17:02 +0200

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 01:29, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2003 10:01:43 -0400
> Daniel Ashton <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Is anyone aware of a way to scan music into lilypond format?
>
> I very much doubt it.  The best way I can think (in the near future)
> would be to use a commercial windows program (possibly under Wine) to
> scan the music, then export that sheet music to midi, then use midi2ly
> to get lilypond notation.
SharpEye2 works very well for me, too (if your sheet music is clean and
aligned on
the scanner grid...) - and it can export to MusicXML, which you can turn
into Lilypond with xml2ly, http://www.nongnu.org/xml2ly

> In the longer term, you could get involved in some of the open-source
> OCR projects and start applying them to sheet music.  Clara OCR is one
> such project (a brief glance at the FAQ shows that they "train" their
> program by using feedback from many users; I don't know if other OCR
> projects do that too).
> http://www.claraocr.org/   (that site also contains links to other
> Linux OCR projects)
You may want to look at Gamera: I discovered it some time ago, but was
never able to have it working because of memory leak while compiling
version 1.0. I've just gone ot the website -
http://dkc.mse.jhu.edu/gamera/ - and seen version 2.0 has been released.
Version 1.0 was GPL, but I cannot find any licensing information for 2.0

Cheers,
Guido

ps.: I sent this message to Graham only some hours ago by mistake. In
the meanwhile I got Gamera 2.0 compiled: I took about 60MB of memory...