Re: joining corresponding lyrics to one line of text?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: joining corresponding lyrics to one line of text?
Date: 26 Jun 2003 17:59:21 -0400

    Jan> The simplest way to do this would be to type " " for each
    Jan> syllable, that should not be shown and then only type the
    Jan> words that differ.  " " is not shown on output.

It depends on how long the section that's the same is.  If it's long,
I find the simplest way is to just split the tune where you need
different numbers of words, and then put it together in the score
section.

Like:

wordsA = \lyrics{these words are the same for all parts.}

wordsB = \lyrics {and these are for the soprano.}

wordsC = \lyrics { and these are just for the alto.}

notesAsop = \notes {soprano notes that go with wordsA}

notesAalt = \notes {alto notes that go with wordsA}

notesB = \notes {notes that go with wordsB}

notesC = \notes{ notes that go with wordsC}

\score = {<\addlyrics{\notesAsop \wordsA}
        \notesAalt>
        <\addlyrics{\notesB \wordsB}
        \addlyrics{\notesC =wordsC}

}

If you have lots of short little sections where the words differ or
are the same, Jan's suggestion is probably better.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139