Re: "Modal" Transposition

From: Pedro Kroger
Subject: Re: "Modal" Transposition
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:45:03 -0300

> > Is there a way to make a "modal" transposition? (not sure if "modal" is
> > the correct term)
> >
> > I'd like to write something like
> >
> > pattern = \notes {b c e f}
> >
> > and then transpose \pattern a few times to get things like:
> >
> > c d e g
> > d e f g
> > e f g a
> >
> > and so on..

> Lilypond allows you to assign things like music sequences to a variable and
> then call the variable in a variety of places.
>
> One example of this would be something like the following
>
> MusicSet = \notes { c d e f }
> \score {
>     \MusicSet
>     \transpose c d \MusicSet
>     \transpose c e \MusicSet
> }

You are right, that's what I want to do, but AFAIK the \transpose
command apply the same interval-size to each note, keeping the
intervalic structure but changing the key. In your example
"\transpose c d \MusicSet" would generate "d e fis g" while I wanted to keep the
original key and have "d e f g" generated instead (that's what I call
"modal" transposition).

Pedro