Re: can't get a foot in

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: can't get a foot in
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 13:23:25 +0200

I'm not sure what you tried, but one important piece of information
that may not be clear from the instructions is exactly in what
directory you should place your input files, namely
C:\cygwin\home\xxx\, where xxx depends on your user name.

I'm certain that your program is already setup correctly, but you
have to realize that this program is very different from what you
are used to in Windows. You don't have any graphical user interface,
and you have to read at least the tutorial to be able to do anything
useful at all. However, once you have done that, you will realize that
this program is very capable and produces more beautiful output than
most others. To see what others have to say on this subject, see
for example http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-08/msg00045.html
and other emails in the same thread.

I hope you don't give up too early and if you still are stuck,
don't hesitate to come back to the mailing list with more specific
questions, explaining what you tried and what you want to do. Don't
be afraid to ask stupid questions, there's certainly someone else
who has the same question but didn't dare ask.

   /Mats

Lance wrote:
Hello. My name is Lance and I'm a composer and pianist living is Australia.
I've been messing around with
trying to set up something with 'Lilypond' but just can't get past first base.
I'm not a computer wizard but
neither am I a total buffoon. I downloaded everything on the 'setup.exe' on the
Lilypond stable site and wound
up with something working in DOS that I couldn't fathom.

Surely there must be an easier step by step approach to the setting up of this
program. I'd love to use it for
the publishing of a book of piano works that is almost ready to start
typesetting and am sure that I could be
a constructive member of the Lilypond community given the chance to get passed
the technical gobbledygook.

Just drowning at the moment. Can somebody get me started.

Thanks.

Lance

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing