Problem with running Lilypond(?)

From: Thorkil Wolvendans
Subject: Problem with running Lilypond(?)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:07:36 +0200

Dear sir(s)/ma'am(s),

a couple of days ago I installed Cygwin with Lilypond for the first time. I had to re-install Cygwin four times before it even ran, and when Cygwin worked I made a test file as discriped in the 'Testing Lilypond'-page. When I tried to make a pdf-file of it, it gave a whole list of things that weren't installed or could not be found. Now, you must know I ain't a computer-expert or even coming close, so in my naivity I tried to make a pdf-file of the example a couple of times, hoping that I mistyped something. But the list kept coming again and again, so I uninstalled the whole bunch and reinstalled it again, following carefully your instructions. Now, it's most likely that I keep doing something wrong, but I'm not sure so I attached the bug-report, which tells you hopefully what I'm doing wrong. I hope you can help me with this problem, for I can't wait to start using your piece of software! I'm really impressed with the results of the example-file ('Petite Ouverture a Danser' by Satie). Being a young composition-student myself, I talk very often with fellow students (mainly students practicing an instrument) about the pros and cons of composing with a computer program. Now, I use Sibelius, which printing quality was considered revolutionary by the students, since they only knew what Finale-scores look like. But if Sibelius get's so much praise... I can't wait what they'll say about the quality of Lilypond!
Once again, I hope I did something silly and I hope you can help me out.

With kind regards,
Thorkil Wolvendans

Oh wait...before I forget, I use:
Windows 98 Second Edition
Lilypond 1.6.11
and all these things that were necessary to run Lilypond