Re: Newbie question

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:25:06 -0400

On Saturday 20 September 2003 08:38 am, Bernard Meylan wrote:
> After a time of practice, I wish now to enter a bigger orchestral
> piece. I don't no exactly the right following order; firts the parts
> and after the score? Or otherwise? And what is the best way to make a
> .ly file so "clean" and precisely possible?

Sly is for big projects.  Make your .ly files and then
enter all the notes at once for each section: brass,
strings, etc., in a .sly file in this format:

part1 | part2 | part3 | etc.
part1 | part2 | part3 | etc.
part1 | part2 | part3 | etc.
part1 | part2 | part3 | etc.
part1 | part2 | part3 | etc.
part1 | part2 | part3 | etc.
part1 | part2 | part3 | etc.

$ sly filename brass

creates brass-pt1.ly, brass-pt2.ly, etc.
from filename.sly  Use \include to
put them in your scores.  It is probably
most convenient to put a measure of each
part on each line.

When done, you might write some or all of
the parts into the score with lyinclude
so that you have everything in one huge file.
I don't know whether there is any advantage
to the fact that the parts are already
extracted.

One of the parts could be a dummy with
measure numbers in it.  If you don't
\include it, lilypond will never see it.
daveA

--
Why should any country entrust its young people to the leadership of
the same