Re: cluster building with ties

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: cluster building with ties
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:14:15 -0500

Hello, David:

Your tie is no-win.  You seem to be trying to indicate which time
value on the shared notehead is originating the tie by the tie
direction, but tie direction indicates nothing at all.

Actually, I'm not (consciously) using direction to indicate anything. However, of all the possible notation options I tried -- multiple voices with rests, all eighth notes with multiple ties, and every imaginable combinations thereof -- the one I settled on is the only one (IMO) that properly shows the specific voice-leading that I intend. (n.b. More accurate/specific yet would be to individually slur the top and bottom voices, but that ended up looking too "grobby"...)

As another possibility, is it possible to automatically "mask" the part of the tie that passes "through" (behind) the notehead, like so:

[detail from original image, manually adjusted in a graphics program]

Although rare, I have seen examples of this in scores from almost every engraving house you can name. This is what should happen when a tie or slur passes "through" a time signature (does this happen in Lilypond?), so why not for a note head?

It would be best if one could apply a setting which indicated which objects would force a mask (e.g., time signatures, note heads) and which objects wouldn't (e.g., stems, staff lines), and of course the mask width.

Is this something I can add to the slur-engraver code? Happy to dive in myself, if necessary.

Best wishes,
Kieren.