Re: How to add Jazz alt chords

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Re: How to add Jazz alt chords
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:35:50 +0100

Hi Stephan, all,

> I'm using lilypond to lay out a Jazz piece.  I'm stuck with a chord
> "Bb7alt" which the composer specifies. How can I add this chord (as
> text) to the score?

I hope you're using Lily 1.6.7 or higher with the corrected jazz
code...

I know of the problem... many jazzers write alt chords, which is not a
real chord designation, but just instructs the player to throw in
"some altered additional tones", whatever they may be. In any case,
it's something I don't use, because I could just as well write "arb",
for arbitrary.

But it's common practice... so I agree a way should be created to
typeset this symbol. However, it doesn't align with the Lilypond
chord handling system at all. Maybe our Lily internals experts can
give a hint? Making it possible to append text to a chord symbol
should solve the problem, I guess.

Take care,

Amy