Re: hairpins ending at line break (or bar line)

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: hairpins ending at line break (or bar line)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:29:25 -0500

Dear Paul and José:

Thank you for your responses!

José said:
You try using zero lenght notes.
For example:
a4\> s1*0\! b4 c4 d8 d8 |

Unfortunately, at the end of the line (or bar), that trick doesn't stop the hairpin from breaking over the barline/system.

Paul said:
I think that's it right now.  Something like:
<< { a1 } { s2..\< s8\! } >>
You just have to adjust the s values to get what you need.

Unfortunately, that gives this (untweaked):

As you can see, not only do I now have to adjust the stem direction -- to be "natural", and not "a la \voiceOne" -- but the spacing engine has not properly dealt with the time and key signature announcements.

Perhaps this is a bug? For regression testing, here's the relevant input (minimal case):

%% m001
    \time 6/4
b16 ef,( d cs) \ferSlur bf''4\fermata~( bf16 a) g-. fs-. fs( g) f-. ef-. << { d4 c\trill } \\ { s4\> s8. s16\! } >> |
%% m002
    \break
    \key bf \major \time 4/4

Any thoughts about improvements or workarounds?

Thanks!
Kieren.