cross-staff piano directives across different source files

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: cross-staff piano directives across different source files
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 22:24:49 -0500

[ Mac OS X 10.2.8;  Lilypond 2.0.1 ]

Hello, all --

I like to define the notes to my piece in one file (e.g., notes.ly) and the score formatting in another (e.g., fullscore.ly); this way, if I want to put together a different format of the same musice (e.g., a letter-portrait reduction of an organ score originally on tabloid-landscape), I just have to create a separate output file (e.g., reducedscore.ly). [Aside: if this is *not* the best way to do things, please advise!]

However, I'm running into an issue with cross-staff piano writing using this method -- the issue being that Lilypond crashes [!].

I'm assuming it's because the "\translator Staff = X" directives (which are imbedded in the note source) need to be in the same file as the "\context Staff = X" (which is in the output source), or at least the horse has to come before the cart (i.e., the file which includes the \translator directive must include the file with the definition of the Staff used to translate!).

Any thoughts on how to get around this problem (other than, duh, putting it all in one file) would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Kieren.