Re: Content-type restrictions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Content-type restrictions
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:37:00 +0100

At least you have managed to slow down the mailing list
server (well, probably it's the number of virus emails
that is the largest culprit), I didn't receive this email
until friday afternoon and it was apparently sent out on
wednesday.

Do the rejected emails bounce back to the sender? In that case,
many people on the list will still suffer from a large number of
virus emails, since the fake From: address often is taken from
the same list of email addresses where the virus found the mailing
list.
Still, for serious emailers who want to reach the mailing list it's
important to get some response about why the email was rejected and
how they can get around it (this should also be documented at
http://lilypond.org/web/about/ or

   /Mats

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
Hi,

Yesterday we tried having the mailing list software (Mailman 2.1.2)
reject mail with application/octet-stream attachments.  The Mailman
user interface is a bit vague; it turned out that the virus mails
still get to the mailing lists, with attachments stripped.  This is
perhaps a worse situation: virus mails are smaller now, but cannot
easily be detected and filtered anymore.

As a more draconian measure we have decided to restrict email to
simple text/plain (or text/html).  Emails that have mutipart/mixed are
rejected until further notice.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greetings,

Jan.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing