How should 'programming error' messages be tracked

From: Edward Sanford Sutton, III
Subject: How should 'programming error' messages be tracked
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:42:45 -0700

  I get a lot of 'programming error: Infinity or NaN encountered while
converting Real number; setting to zero. (Continuing; crossing fingers)'
messages sometimes in the Chompin piece I've been typesetting. I think it
could be related to grace notes when they are in some tight measures, but the
error doesn't state what measures the problems occur in or where in the lily
file they relate to.
  Running with --verbose leaves the 'programming error' messages as they were,
but brings out other details (and warnings) related to other parts of the
processing.
  I would be grateful for any advice and I'll provide any other desired
details if necessary.
Thanks again,
Ed Sutton