Re: LilyPond 2.1.35 released

From: Hans Forbrich
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.1.35 released
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:01:52 -0700

On Sunday 28 March 2004 09:04, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> I would like to request proofreaders to take a look at the chapter
> "Changing defaults." Parts of this chapter have been rewritten
> recently, and haven't been scrutinized closely yet.

(Not sure whether 'User' or 'Devel' was appropriate ...)

In: "Interpretation contexts", I needed to read several times the paragraph
"This is contextual information. and it can b..." .  Please verify my
understanding of this paragraph, to the end of page, in the following
paraphrase:
"At any instant in time printed music can be viewed from the Voice, the Staff
and the Score perspective.  In each perspective, or Context in Lilypond
terminology, there are some known rules and some known properties.  These
Contexts do not work in isolation but interact in a heirarchical fashion.
The Score is the base of the heirarchy within which one or more members of
the Staff family may be operate.  In each Staff one of more Contexts, such as
members of the Voices families, may exist.

Each Context takes responsibility for some musical rules, musical or graphical
objects (grobs) and associated properties.  These may be introduced within a
Context, for example a Voice creates a Notehead, or may be refinements of
elements from another level in the heirarchy.  For example the Voice may
introduce an accidental and the Staff then maintains the rule to show or
suppress the accidental for the remainder of the measure.

A Context is defined using the \context keyword in the \paper block.  Full
description of these available is in the program reference, see Contexts.
Many are defined in the engraver-init.ly file.  Part of the definition
includes giving the Context a 'type name' such as Voice, Staff, ChoirStaff,
and so on.

Once defined, a context can be used in the score by instantiating (also known
as 'creating') the context.  In a simple score this is automatically done.
However in a complex score it is necessary to create a context manually using
the \new keyword and optionally naming that instance.  Naming a context
instance allows explicit reference to that context.  Some examples of named
contexts include Voices (Trumpet, FirstHorn, Soprano, Bass) or Staves (Up for
the top piano staff, Down for the lower piano staff).

It is also possible to define new Contexts and modify existing ones. More
details are available in the following sections:

Creating contexts:
Changing context properties on the fly :
Modifying context plug-ins:
Layout tunings within contexts:
Changing context default settings:
Defining new contexts:
Which properties to change:
"

If the above is accurate and useful to the documentation, feel free to use it.
Otherwise please help me fix my understanding.
/Hans