relative mode in the case of tritones

From: Ben Crowell
Subject: relative mode in the case of tritones
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:45:22 -0600

Hi All,

I have a question about how tritones are treated in relative octave mode.
The manual says that by default each interval is made to be a fourth or
less. What happens in the case of a tritone? Is an augmented fourth
treated differently than a diminished fifth, or is it enharmonic?
AFAICT right now, tritones just go upward automatically -- is that
always true? Obviously I could just experiment, but I'd like to
suggest clarifying the documentation, and I also have a parser
I've written for a subset of the lilypond language
(for this program: http://www.lightandmatter.com/clamor/clamor.html),
and I want to make sure that what it's doing is really consistent
with what lilypond does.

Thanks in advance!