Re: Bagpipe Music and Grace Notes

From: Roland Goretzki
Subject: Re: Bagpipe Music and Grace Notes
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:38:29 +0200

Hello list, hello Andrew,

You wrote:

> Bagpipe music has tons of grace notes, all of which are printed as 32nd
> notes.  The main problem I'm having is with beamed grace notes.  The
> stems on groups of grace notes are just a little too short, and
> sometimes the third beam actually collides with note heads.  You can see
> this in input/test/bagpipe.ly.
>
> I'd really appreciate help about how to correct this behavior.  Thanks
> in advance.

Unfortunately I don't know a global solution, but a local solution would
be par example for the following little code

  \score { \notes \relative c'' {
    \grace { f64 [ e d c ] } e16 [ d f e ] d [ g f e ] }
  }

to put a line before the beamed group like this:

  \score { \notes \relative c'' {
    \once\override Beam #'positions = #'(5.5 . 4.5)
    \grace { f64 [ e d c ] } e16 [ d f e ] d [ g f e ] }
  }

For this example it is a better solution, but the vertical positions
determined with "5.5" (beginning) and "4.5" (end) is not relative to the
noteheads, but to the staff, so with changing pitches You have in each
case to change the vertical positions again.

Nevertheless:
Perhaps this is the solution which You was looking for ... :)

Best Regards           Roland