Re: Is method of using LilyPond compatible with creativity?

From: David R. Linn
Subject: Re: Is method of using LilyPond compatible with creativity?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:58:41 -0500 (CDT)

Since this is a question of philosophy, I'll give a philisophical
response.  I think you (Micheal Edwards) are asking the wrong question.
You compare Lilypond with Finale and Sibelius so I think you are looking
for a visual music composition tool.  Such a tool seems to be a
requirement for meeting your definition of "compatible with creativity".

Lilypond is a tool for producing beautifully "typeset" music; it is
not and does not pretend to be a visual composition tool but it makes
a wonderful backend for such a tool once the user is satisfied with
what she or he has composed.

I think the question you want to ask is

        "is there a visual music composition tool that is compatible
        with Lilypond?"

and the answer is "yes".  At least two, RoseGarden and NoteEdit, have
been mentioned on list in the last few weeks.