Re: interrupted notes

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: interrupted notes
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:52:11 +0200

Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
In the following fragment:

<< e1 \\ { c4 d e f } >>

When played by a pianist (which I should emphasize, I am not), the e4
should interrupt the e1 so that it sounds like:

<< e2 \\ { c4 d e f } >>

What the midi output currently does is this:

<< e1 \\ { c4 d s f } >>

I would like to change Midi_walker::do_start_note to do the former
(fairly easy).  The question is, should there be an option to do the
latter?

Probably! Imagine, for example, that you are typesetting an
orchestral piece and this particular music is played by two
flutes, for example. It's common to typeset two flute parts on
a common stave in a printed score and because of the limitation to
16 channels in MIDI, you will typically keep them in the same
stave also in the LilyPond \score{} for the MIDI output (each
Staff context is translated into a MIDI channel, by default).

   /Mats