French problems

From: Gailliez Jean-Baptiste
Subject: French problems
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 19:09:24 +0200

Here is my problem :
I am a programmer.
I am an organist too. Not to play concert : I only play on sunday during the
office, in a catholic church. It means I have about a thousand scores on
paper, which take a lot of place. But during rehearsals, I need two things :
- about twenty different scores ; the majority of them were foreseen, some
were not.
- on demand, the ability to transpose up or down some of the canticles,
because our choir has limited capacities ... And me too : I prefer to play
transposed scores instead of transposing in real time.

So I am dreaming of a tablet-PC containing all the canticles I have, with all
the scores in PDF, and very few manipulation to generate transposed scored.
I think such a system would address a market in christian musician, all over
the world. here is a site that offers such a system :
http://www.freehandsystems.com/
Is Lilypond part of this system ? Is it possible de create a GNU version of
this system ?

I have another problem : the french chords ... I modified a little the file
"chord-name.scm" (see annexed file) to print the french chord names, but it
is not perfect. One problem, for example, appear with chords like "fa4",
translated into "Fa 4es/is" (approximately). I did this way because I didn't
manage to create a file french-chords.scm from the german-chords.scm.

With this modification, I began to rewrite a psalter (see the file
"psaume121.jpg" in annex). And there appeared some problems :
- on the first line of the verse, the time signature is wrong : I was unable
to make it disappear
- on the second, third, and fourth line of the verses, unable to align all
 the verses to the left
- some syllable of the verse should be in bold font
- I can't reduce the space between two lines of lyrics (to make the verses
occupy less space) ; nor the space between the anthem and the verse
- I can't write the carachters "left quote" nor "right quote"

Can you do something for me ?

By the way, do you know anyone in France (near Maubeuge / Valenciennes /
Lille) that is using Lilypond, specially for christian use ?

Again, congratulations for your program, and thank you in advance for your
answer.

Jean-Baptiste Gailliez