Re: Removing MIDI Dynamics

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Removing MIDI Dynamics
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 17:57:34 -0400

On Saturday 22 May 2004 01:05 am, J. Garcia wrote:
> Is there now any way to remove all dynamics from a
> MIDI file? The
>   \translator { \remove "Dynamic_performer" }
> trick doesn't seem to work anymore.  I know this
> question has been posted before, but didn't receive
> any response.

Sounds like quite an uphill climb.  You can create a midge file from a
midi file created with lilypond using midi2mg and edit that.  I found
that midi2mg worked on a midi file created with lilypond, but I have not
proceeded further yet, because I have not needed to.  Soon.

The syntax of midge is, unfortunately, completely different from
lilypond, but it is also text based and it has an emacs mode.  If you
are interested in creating a really finely tuned midi file I doubt if
you can find a better way than lilypond to midi to midge to midi.  Using
lilypond initially would surely save a lot of time.  Unless you are
doing a work with many parts put each voice on a separate staff, because
a midi instrument has chords but no unisons and a unison on a midi staff
will create an error in the midi file.

For a guitar solo you either have to use piano for an instrument or
manipulate the midi file in ways that lilypond does not support, because
the default sustain of notes is suitable for simple arpeggio or chord
accompaniment but it gives a very muddy result in a solo using timidity.
The defaults of different midi players and their treatment of samples
will vary.  Lilypond will never feature such controls, and it's really
very hard for me to see any reason why it should.

Midge and lilypond should be natural partners.  Let us know how it comes
out.

If your purpose is much less ambitious, you still should be able to make
the change in the midge file right quick.  \remove sounds like a bug or
syntax issue, and I'm sure it will be addressed.  Are you supposed to
have those curlies?  daveA

--
Paying more at the gas pump?  Bush's Oil Sheikh Buddies, who support Al
Qaeda, Palestinian terrorists, & hate-U.S. school systems everywhere,