Re: address@hidden Lilypond Comments!

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: address@hidden Lilypond Comments!
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:40:57 +0200

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 00.21, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > One could attack this problem with another Emacs patch...which would
> > give you the absolute octave for any note under the cursor. Again, has
> > anyone attacked this problem, or should I tackle it?

Just in case you didn't notice: There is a command \octave in lilypond, which
addresses the same problem, but isn't as good as what you suggest.

> > -> Another problem is enterying lyrics to a melody, often the lyric
> > syllables don't match up to the melody notes, and I have to tweak the
> > melody or lyrics. Any attempts to solve this problem? I have several
> > possible solutions, but don't know what is good/possible/easy.

I don't understand.. do you have an example? I have not been able to spot any
real example where \lyricsto is not enough.

> > ---> I can't seem to put measure breaks '|' into lyrics...wouldn't
> > that be a useful feature to add to the language? Or can it be done
> > somehow?
>
> This should be possible, but I recall there being bugs. Erik S. knows
> the details.

It is possible to use | in lyrics. I do it all the time. What you have to
observe, is that you should see | as a prefix operator. It can only be added
right before syllables that are sung on the first beat of each bar. This is
different from other notations, since bars can start and end with rests.

There are also bugs; you may sometimes get incorrect barchecks warnings during
midi output.

> > ---> I believe you can specify durations for syllables...could I
> > specify the rhythm of a melody in the \lyrics context, and then just
> > have the melody provide the pitches?
>
> yes.

?? really? how?

Erik