Re: Methods of working

From: Ferenc Wagner
Subject: Re: Methods of working
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:53:47 +0200

Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Pedro Kroger wrote:
>
>> I forgot to mention that if you typeset long scores, it may be a good
>> idea to use variables. I use variables for each section, like
>> \sectiona \sectionb, etc. Them I can comment out the sections I don't
>> want to compile right now. I also use variables for each instrument,
>> so I can compile only specific instruments of a specific
>> section. This is a great time saver while you are copying a piece.
>
> I hope you have noticed the skipTypesetting property. See
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Skipping-corrected-music.html

It didn't really work out for me because MIDI was still
entirely generated, making proofhearing harder.  And setting
this property is generally more work than commenting out
some parts.  I couldn't switch it off from the very
beginning of the piece either...  But didn't even try too
hard, though commenting also has a drawback: %{ %} is not
nestable.  You just can't win all the time.  I still think
the skipTypesetting property would be useful if it could
consistently suppress typesetting of other parallel things,
too.  If I remember correctly, it fell short on lyrics.
--
Feri.