Re: Problem compiling 2.2.3

From: Scott Webber
Subject: Re: Problem compiling 2.2.3
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:13:54 -0400

Daniel Díaz wrote:

[Resent message. I've got a "The message's content type was not
explicitly allowed", I guess by GPG signing it.]

Hello there.

I haven't been able to install Lilypond (any version) in Mandrake
9.1/9.2. Mandrake's RPMs work fine, but they are as old as my granny
(1.7.x, I think). The first source tarball I tried was 2.3.5, and it
moaned about some try_add being undeclared, so I went for 2.2.3.

In 2.2.3, the problem I'm having is this:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ddiaz/downs/lilypond-2.2.3/mf'
echo mf mfont not found "\mode:=laserjet; nonstopmode; input feta11.mf;"
mf mfont not found \mode:=laserjet; nonstopmode; input feta11.mf;
I'm no expert, but it looks like you don't have mf installed. Did you read the INSTALL doc? It tells you about all the dependencies and the steps to build. However, it does NOT tell you about the depencencies of some of the dependencies ;) I got it to work on Mandake 9.2. Most of the depencencies I didn't have yet, so I downloaded source tarballs or src rpms for all of them. Here's a list of the things I installed to get 2.3.5 to build:

autoconf 2.59 - I can't remember which version was already installed on my system, but it didn't work right.
autotrace ???
fontforge ???
guile 1.6.4
mftrace 1.0.33
potrace 1.4
and kpathsea which I'm pretty sure didn't work with the mdk9.2 tex that was installed, so I installed a new tetex 2.0.2

Also, I downgraded bison to 1.35 but I don't think that's necessary. Flex was already installed on my system. And one more thing: 2.3.5 needed some new font library which you can get from the lilypond downloads - ec-fonts-mftraced-1.0.1.tar.gz.

IMO, for a guy not really experienced with config/make/install, it was a pretty challenging task getting lilypond to build.

Good luck,
Scott