Re: address@hidden Lilypond Comments!

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: address@hidden Lilypond Comments!
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:31:27 +0200

[flup to mailing list]

>>     %% foe
>>     | a4 b8
>>     | c16( d f)
>>     | c4-2 d
>
> OK. Is there a BNF grammar I can examine?  I'm not sure just what
> other kinds of exotic stuff 'what-beat' would have to recognize.

No.  The specification is in lily/parser.yy, but you can get most important
things from the tutorial.

> BTW what
> does c4-2 mean?  Yes, I'm fairly new to Lilypond :)

Fingering: use second finger.

> Yesterday, I jsut
> discovered that what-beat doesn't work with slurs, and fixed it.

Good, the same is needed for beams, ties, comments, fingering, to name
some of the most common exotic things.

> I presume you mean lilypond's emacs mode, right? I can create a patch
> & send it to you if that's what you prefer.

Yes, that was what I meant, but please discuss with Heikki what needs
to be done before it goes in.

>> * Bind (a safe-variant of) it to '|' (or maybe even RET)
>
> I'll bind it to C-| then.

O, the curren explicit binding is fine, I just thought an implicit
binding (electric if you like) could be nice: every time you close a
bar | you're told how many beats?

Jan.