Beam damping - again

From: Sami Huhtala
Subject: Beam damping - again
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 01:31:32 +0300

Hi,

Back to the subject discussed couple of months ago in message
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-03/msg00767.html

> Basically,
> slope := 0.6 * tanh (slope) / damping;

The LilyPond program-reference says that the damping-value must be an integer, but are there any (mathematical) reasons for that? I, too, find the default value (1) to be too steep, but value 2 gives too flat results - I think something between 1.3 and 1.5 would give just the right slope.

Scale from 1 to 100000 is really exaggerated, because even value 10 gives virtually horizontal beams (version 2.2.2).

-Sami Huhtala