Re: Jazz Ornamentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Jazz Ornamentation
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:07:02 -0700

On 31-Jul-04, at 8:06 PM, Lyle Raymond wrote:
I'm engraving copies of some solo transcriptions I've done, and I've run into
a couple of challenges:

1. How does one indicate a glissando from an indeterminate source (as opposed
to a gliss between two specific notes)?

Use an invisible note.  (see the manual or list archives for this)

2. What is the best way to display a "ghost" note, either by changing the
note head to an "X" or by enclosing the notehead in parentheses?

I'd change the notehead;

\override NoteHead   #'style = #'cross

should work. I found a page that displayed the different styles of noteheads once, but I can't find it right now.

Cheers,
- Graham